I love to cook, I do it often, and while I have a lot of tried and true recipes, as well as creating my own food, I enjoy looking around for other recipes that people have created to try. I happened to be cruising Pinterest one night on my nook (I couldn’t sleep as usual) and came across a photo that interested me.
I cruised on over to Eat Cake For Dinner and read the ingredients list. It was everything I was looking for.. kid friendly, quick… and more importantly, a different spin on the typical hamburger. She has a lot of great looking recipes over there by the way. Take a look, try some!
The recipe I went there for on this particular night was the Stuffed French Bread.
Mine is not as pretty as hers is. BUT everyone, especially the 7 year old loved it! I did make a few changes to the recipe, mostly because of things I had on hand at the time. I have been sick, and wasn’t really willing to run to the store.
- Store bought french bread
- Used a batch of home made cream of onion soup instead of mushroom.
- Increased the onions to 1/2 cup, and added 1/2 cup of chopped mushrooms.
- 1/2 cup cooked chopped up bacon.
Suggested things from recipe:
- Used 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire Sauce and 1 and 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese.
Like Jenn, I cut this up sandwich style. I had to use a fork because unlike the ends, the middles, while crispy are a little too messy to be hand eaten, at least for me. I served this with a simple salad of watermelon, cucumber, feta cheese and raspberry vinaigrette.
As I was enjoying this new spin on the mundane hamburger, I thought of other things to stuff it with. (No pun intended… )
- Chopped up ham, cream of asparagus soup, chopped onions, mushrooms, cooked asparagus, and cheddar cheese.
- Shredded chicken, mushrooms, cream of mushroom soup, swiss cheese and chopped spinach
- Sloppy joe it
- Taco it… beans, meat, cheese, add toppings you like after its cooked.
Endless possibilities if you use your creative side.
Try it for yourself. It’s quick, easy, your kids will love it. (Each loaf made 6 sandwiches btw, in case you were wondering.)