I have a confession to make. I have been Paleo for a few years, but not always strict. I have an addiction to cheese, yogurt, and I love baking breads. I also enjoy eating that bread warm from the oven with a slather of butter. This year, I have become a little more strict with how often I eat dairy, grains and gluten, allowing myself the luxury as little as once a week.
I have been diligently working on making my “comfort food” recipes that I grew up with as paleo as possible. My current meatloaf recipe, my grandma’s Cottage Pie/Shepherd’s Pie has gotten an overhaul; I have even managed to make the pancakes I server on Sunday mornings Paleo. My family doesn’t seem to mind this, as long as they can still find that batch of home-made yogurt and cheese in the fridge, or a fresh loaf of bread on the counter.
Here is a list of the best Paleo recipes I have been using so far this year. The “I wish I would have thought of that!” List.
The Best Paleo Recipes I Have Tried Thus Far In 2015
- The Iron You’s Paleo Moussaka – I have an addiction to Moussaka… Any Greek food to be exact. I did a dance of joy when I found this recipe. This has been THE BEST alternative to the traditional version. I made mine in the 8 X 12, even froze left overs. I also used coconut milk instead of the almond milk. You are talking about eye crossing, heavenly yet almost sinful bursts of flavor in your mouth.
- The Iron You’s Cauliflower Crust Buns – These cauliflower crust buns are a great alternative to the sweet potato buns I also make. Pretty much all of the cauliflower crust recipes fit into this one category. Do a search on the blog over there, cauliflower crust… You will find so many great recipes to go gluten-free, including grilled cheese, bread sticks, Quiche crust; the list goes on.
- Beauty and the Foodie’s Primal Pizza Pie Layered Casserole – I have made meatza’s before with great results and a happy family; this recipe takes it to a whole ‘nother level. Many will argue that cheese is not Paleo, you can leave it off and I often do for myself. The fam needs their pizza fix on occasion and I can get away with it as long as there is cheese on it. Many Paleo folk do consume cheese, and in my family’s case, I make my own cheeses using raw goat’s milk. I feel a little bit better about that, and yes, I can sleep at night. 😛 I often make a few pans, bake them all and freeze left overs in portion sizes.
- Andrew Zimmern’s Estofado De Carne, Paleo-Style – This is amazing. I have served this over cauliflower rice, and have used it to stuff squash with as well. Served over spaghetti squash, simply perfect.
- Steal this Meal Stuffed Acorn Squash – (from the Whole 30 Website!!!) – A lot of squash is consumed in my house. If we can’t get it fresh and whole, that’s ok, I have plenty stored up in my freezer. I have made this as is in the recipe, and last week, I made the meat mixture and added over roasted squash puree I had in my freezer. Was a perfect lunch for a cold day!
Have you tried the paleo lifestyle? Do you have any favorite paleo recipes? Feel free to share all that in the comments section below.