I love to bake… I especially love it when the recipe is quick and easy. I been baking a lot of these lately and was asked to share the recipe. Typically this is a single layer cake, but cupcakes has been more of my need lately.
I usually make them with butter cream frosting, adding a little juice to the frosting. I also add cocoa powder as well.
As much as I enjoy the frosted cupcakes, my favorite are simply sprinkled with powdered sugar and a little cinnamon. These cupcakes are about 200 calories frosted, about 150 with out the frosting. Tasty either way you go. I have baked so many of them lately for various things, I ended up with a dozen unfrosted cupcakes in my freezer for another day. I feel good about this… 🙂
Pia’s Orange Cake Recipe
This cake can easily be turned into a lemon cake by using lemon juice instead of orange juice, and adding lemon peel instead of the orange. Also really good with lime. 🙂 If you do not have any peel, feel free to omit. I have many times. I typically use a butter frosting on this cake, mixed with a little orange for extra orange flavor, or a butter chocolate frosting.
- 1 and 1/3 cups of all purpose flour
- 2/3 cups of sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 tsp finally shredded orange peel
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 x 11 baking pan. Line bottom of pan with waxed or parchment paper. Grease and flour pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar and baking powder. Add orange juice, milk, butter, egg, vanilla and orange peel. Beat with mixer on low speed until combined. Beat on medium for 1 minute. Spread into prepared pan.
- Bake 25 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool cake in pan for 10 mins on wire rack.
- Remove cake from pan and let it cool completely on wire rack.
- Plate cake, frost or dust with powdered sugar.
To make as cupcakes:
One batch of batter makes a dozen cupcakes. Fill each cupcake tin half full. Bake for 12 mins or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
To Freeze Baked:
After cake is cooled, double wrap with saran wrap (plastic wrap), and then tin foil. Make sure you label the cake with what it is and date. A frozen cake can last for 6 months in the freezer. I never frost my cakes before freezing them, I have had bad results in the past. Unwrap and thaw. Frost and eat 🙂