Why Am I Blogging?
I originally decided to blog to help me refine my writing skills. I write every day, even if it’s not on my blog. I believe that a writer, a pro or aspiring writer should write something every day, even if it’s crap. Jot down ideas on a pad of paper, write something in text pad, do what ever it is you need to do to help you write every day. I often pull out a lot of napkins with ideas, phrases or paragraphs from my camera bag.
I have blogged often over the years. Most of it was for the purpose of writing practice. I have scraped many of them and started over a few times. I still don’t know what my niche is, but I enjoy the writing aspect of having a blog. I know a little about a lot, and always have something to say.
Blogging also helps me deal with my PTSD. Having an outlet to tune in to helps me tune out of things that cause me fear and flashbacks… like fireworks that I don’t know will go off outside my house, or thunder that sounds like mortar rounds landing in my front yard…
Why the Name Dusky Illusions?
There are a few meanings for the word illusions. When this website started back in 2001, it was heavily involved in RPGS. I am still heavily involved in RPGS, but I have branched out.
When I first started this website, my Drow Character, Morrigan was the inspiration for the site name….
- dusky – dark skin;
- illusions – perception. Was she real or was she fantasy? Of course, she was fantasy, with me the REAL person playing her every Saturday night at the gaming table.
She is now retired, my personal life has changed, but the dark perceptions in my mind still continue. Some of that is PTSD related.
The deal sealer for the name was the fact that I am a coyote spirit. Illusion and chaos go hand and hand with a coyote spirit, and you can look at the chaos aspect of it as “dusky”. 🙂
The Quote in my banner
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. – J.R.R. Tolkien
I like to think that was Tolkien’s way of saying we need more Hobbits in this world, and a lot less Dragons. I used that quote because that is what this site is about… That makes me a Hobbit by nature, as I value, my family, food, song, and good times.
With the updated look of the site, I am no longer using my banner. I am going to put it here for sentimentality. 🙂
So Who Is Bri K?
So you want to know something about me, huh?
- I am a coyote spirit. Not only does the coyote sit at the top of my totem, he is also my pack animal, and has been my spirit guide through a lifetime thus far. He also defines my personality. I enjoy jokes and fun and dealing with the serious in a laid back manner. I have been accused of educating through my humor, especially when giving advice.
- I am military.. there goes any chance of 100% PG from me. I try, I do my best, but at times I fail… epically, I might add.
- I am a mother and now a grandmother. Best job one could ever have IF you feel you must call it a job. I take the title seriously and wear it as a badge of honor.
- I am a PROUD PFLAG mom, and a staunch supporter of the LBGTQ+ Community.
- I am a music lover, DJ and hack musician. I play 10 instruments, some of them well.
- I am a geek when it comes to pulling out the dice and rolling up a new character, or logging into one of my favorite MMORPGs and mowing down mobs like wheat.
- I am an artist, as I like to call myself, from traditional arts to photography, to graphics and 3D pixel stuff. I enjoy looking at other artist’s works and am often in awe of the talent out there.
- I am a writer, mostly poems, and songs that make no sense… I am typo queen but typos are sometimes a little spice to make things interesting.. depending on the typo.
- I have a lot to say when the mood strikes me, and have no problem telling you exactly what I think. I sometimes can be tactful, even if that happens by merry accident.
- I am considered handicapped by most; I do not consider myself handicapped in any sense of the word. Dealing with my losses are merely hurdles that I face every day; and every day, I am one step closer to conquering each hurdle tossed at me on the track we call life. It has been a learning process, to say the least!
- And last, but not least, I am a great man’s other half, a sister, a daughter, an aunt and just as importantly, a friend.
- If you have the need to know even more, read my post “Things You Should Know About Me If We Are Going To Be BFFs“.
Don’t Forget To Subscribe!
I post often, even if it is to get out an opinion or work on my own writing. I may even say something you are interested in finding out about!
You can hit the subscribe button to get an email sent to you when I update this blog. In the future, I hope to have an email newsletter that includes other things like writing tips, tutorials… Exclusive things you won’t find on the blog.
Hang out with me on Social media!